Makes 24 ounces (2 small, or 1 mega smoothie)
- 4 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup juice (pomegranate, acai or cranberry)
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- In a blender pitcher, blend all ingredients together until smooth.Note: Since this recipes calls for frozen fruit, you’ll have to keep working with the blender, stirring and reprocessing until smooth. I like mine thick, for a thinner consistency, add more liquid a little at a time until it’s like you like it.
Brown Sugar Coconut Blueberry Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 teaspoons brown sugar, for topping
2 teaspoons sweetened flaked coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, stirring gently until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a sprinkle of coconut.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to wire rack to cool completely.